Custom robots header tags for blogger are the latest and vital feature of Google’s BlogSpot. It is the best and easiest way to control the robot’s behavior for your blog. By launching this feature, google makes blogger more SEO friendly and suitable for blogging. In my opinion, every blogger should understand the functionality of custom robots header tags for blogger accurately to gain a massive search engine visibility.
Therefore, today I am making this guide to let you know all about blogger custom robots header tags. But before that, I will recommend you to learn about the functionality and feature of blogger custom robots.txt. Because it will introduce you to search engine’s robots, bots or crawlers and you will get the idea on how they work. Moreover, you will be able to understand this tutorial more effectively.
A few days ago, there was no option to add custom robots header tags in blogger globally. Many bloggers tried to add robots header tags manually by editing their templates but there was some limitation too. Also, it was not possible to add robots header tags for individual posts and pages. Presently, Blogger makes our dream come true by realizing this feature.
Now we can control our blog’s robots meta tag directly from the blogger dashboard. For this reason, we can make our blog more SEO and User-friendly within few clicks. In my opinion, blogger is letting us unlock the door of blogging success by providing this feature. Moreover, it has made Blogger a strong competitor of the world’s most popular blogging platform “WordPress”.
How to Enable Custom Robots Header Tags for Blogger?
Enabling custom robots header tags for Blogger is highly recommended to have complete control of your blog. I am assuming that you have already known what are search engines robots and how they work. Actually, these robots walk around the web all the time and collect every single pin drop.
Also, you should know that these robots are responsible for processing your website data and rank. We are going to learn to control them via blogger custom robots header tags. So let’s see how to enable custom robots header tags in blogger. At this point, simply follow my step by step instruction.
Step 1: First of all, login to your Blogger account and go to the dashboard. If you have more than one blog in your blogger account, select the one you need to enable custom robots header tags.
Step 2: From the left menu, Click on the “Settings > Search Preferences”. Now take a look on the right side. You will see the “Custom robots header tags” option right after the Custom robots.txt. Here you have to click on the “edit” link as shown below.
Step 3: At this point, you have to enable this feature by clicking on the first radio button (Yes). Take a look on the image below to become clearer.
I think you have successfully enabled the custom robots header tags for blogger. But we are not done yet. We must configure it properly. So let’s see the settings part now.
Optimum Settings for Blogger Custom Robots Header Tags
Step 4: This is the most important part of the entire process. Actually, here we will give the instruction to robots to control their behavior for our blog by using some check boxes. Take a look on the image below.
Step 5: I will recommend you to follow the above image to have optimum settings for Blogger custom robots header tags. It includes three sections (Homepage, Archive and Search pages and Default for Posts and Pages). Have you checked all the boxes as shown above? If yes, click on the “Save changes” button and you are done.
The Homepage Settings Explanation: The homepage is the most important page of your blog. For this reason, we should not block anything on the homepage from search engine crawlers. However, some perception may be found to use “noimageindex” for the home page. In my opinion, it is an unnecessary step because Google understands the structure of a blog and the behavior of homepage.
The Archive and Search page Settings Explanation: Actually, archive and search pages are auto generated pages which represent some information of your blog posts. In fact, these pages are very important to let your readers navigate your blog more efficiently.
In my opinion, if we allow search engines to index these pages, same contents will be shown under different URLs. Which may cause the duplicate content issue for our blog. Also, the overall index status will be messy. For this reason, we should not index these pages of our blog.
The Default for Posts and Pages Settings Explanation: We can control the robot’s activity for the most important part of our blog from this section. Yes, I am talking about the post and pages. As a matter of fact, the reason behind blogging or creating great contents is letting people discover our hard work through search engines. Therefore, we should not prevent search engines from indexing our posts and pages to represent them in front of the world.
Note: I will briefly explain about every item included into this header tags area. After understanding them well, you may change the above settings as the way you want.
Understand Custom Robots Header Tags for Blogger
We have already enabled and configured custom robots header tags for Blogger from the above part of this post. Now it is time to gather some knowledge on those tags to understand what we have done above and why.
List of Custom Robots Header Tags of Blogger
Presently you will find 10 custom robots header tags in blogger. Let’s see the functionality and how they work.
1. all: This robot header tag feature will allow search engine crawler visit and discover every single element of your blog. Therefore, if you check and enable this feature, you will give the complete freedom to the crawler to crawl and index everything.
2. noindex: This feature is given for private blogs. If someone thinks not to share his blog publicly, this option is for them. Usually, allowing this option will prevent search engine crawler from crawling and indexing the blog. So nobody will be able to discover that b via search engines.
3. nofollow: You may have heard the term nofollow and dofollow before. This is a critical, complex, and confusing SEO factor because improper use of these tags may increase or decrease search engine ranks of your blog. Blogger provides this feature to let you make all of the outbound links of your blog nofollow if you wish.
4. none: If you wish to apply both noindex and nofollow tags together, you can enable this feature. It will prevent search engine crawlers from indexing and be considering outbound links dofollow.
5. noarchive: This feature is given to control the search engine cache permission. Usually, search engines collect a cache version of your web page and show it on the search engine result page (SERP). Actually, the cache is a frequently updated copy of your web pages is used to serve your website on the downtime by search engines.
6. nosnippet: Almost every search result includes a small snippet on the SERPs. It helps people to get an idea about the content of the web page. However, enabling this feature will prevent search engines to show that text snippet.
7. noodp: ODP stands for “Open Directory Project” like Dmoz. Actually, you can prevent adding your website information there by enabling this feature.
8. notranslate: This option will allow you to disable translation of your blog in different languages. Although machine translation is not hundred percent readable, we should let our readers translate the web page if they want.
9. noimageindex: Allowing this option will prevent search engines to index images of your blog. In my opinion, it is wise to use this feature with caution. Because images are a major part of blogging and can increase the organic traffic of your blog.
10. unavailable_after: If you wish to deindex your blog after a specific amount of time, you may check this option.
Override The Custom Robots Header Tags for Individual Posts and Pages
Blogger will allow you to override the global custom robots header tags setting for individual posts and pages. In fact, this option will give you the freedom to control robots activity for each post and page of your blog. Let’s see how to do it?
1. Login to your Blogger account and go to the “Posts” section.
2. Select the post you need to configure robots activity and click on the “edit” link.
3. Now take a look on the right side “Post settings” > “Custom Robots Tags” and click on it.
4. Uncheck the “default” option > Configure the custom robots header tags as the way you want. Finally, click on the “Done” button and “Update” the post.
Make Sure Blogger Custom Robots Header Tags are Working
After enabling custom robots header tags for blogger, you can check is it working on your blog perfectly or not. Actually, you will find many HTTP header response code checkers out there. But I will recommend you to use this tool because it is informative and easy to use.
Simply visit the tool and insert the URL of the page into the box. After that, click on the ” get HTTP status code” button. Finally, locate the “X-Robots-Tag” status as shown above.
I think you don’t have any further confusion about custom robots header tags for blogger. Also, you have enabled and configured this amazing blogger feature properly in your blog. Finally I will ask you to share this guide and obviously, your feedback is always appreciated.